Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Word from the New President



I would like to interrupt this blog for a moment to introduce myself and explain to you why I am both pleased and honored to be named the new President of the Board of Directors of One Small Drop. It is an organization that truly seeks to prove that local can be global, and lasting and substantive change can be made in the world by committed individuals.

If you have looked around the world there are just about a million quotes about philanthropy, charity, nonprofit organizations, and volunteerism. Some of these quotes are grand, but I think the best ones are those that put the impact of world change within the reach of one individual. One of my favorites is by Wayne Dyer, “You, a person with a vision, are like a pebble in a stream, moving ever outward to infinity, impacting on all who come into contact with the ripple.” It is because of quotes like that, and the impetus for change behind them, that I became involved in One Small Drop. Each and every person who comes into contact with One Small Drop has been able to achieve and see, through concrete ways, how they have impacted a community a world away. That is due in large part to Tammie Jo Berg, its founder, but also to people like Lee Halverson, the past President, and all Board Members, all the way down to that one person who decides to take a chance, and see if they can change the world.

So now that you know the fantastic group of people I have the privilege of working with, let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Liza Schneider. I earned my undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay in 1984 and have worked solely in the nonprofit world ever since. I have done everything from volunteering at fun walks, to working with developmentally disabled adults, freelance writing, and governance and administration. Recently I received my Masters Degree from Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York. I am the owner of Philanthropie de la Baie, a nonprofit Consulting business, and have been happily married to Donn, a Packer fan for over 19 years. We are the proud owners of a cat, collie puppy (named Laddie, of course) and a 2 year old Gyspy Vanner horse who is trying really hard to learn not to nibble on people. We are all a work in progress.

I look forward to serving the Board of One Small Drop, as that is what I believe any good President, or leader should be, a servant to others. If you want to test my theory on how you can send a ripple of good out to the world come to one of our events, or contact Tammie Jo or myself. You will be amazed at the impact one small drop can have on the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound so great!! Hopefully you will use all your skills to spice up the small drop org to fulfill its tasks.God bless you so much.